Elastilon Hardwood Installation Systems
BENEFITS - THE END OF FLOOR FAILURES, SPECIFICALLY OVER CONCRETE
- Elastilon was invented as an installation system for T&G hardwood flooring 30 years ago by Mr. Fred van Bers in The Netherlands 30 years ago, it was world patented and after 6 years of trials put on the world markets.
- Elastilon has been available now for 26 years through 30 countries.
- Elastilon is the world first and original invention of this installation method.
- There have been 12 million square feet of hardwood flooring installed on Elastilon in the USA so far.
WHAT IS ELASTILON?
- Elastilon is a series of sticky closed cell foam mats, used as an installation system for T&G hardwood flooring.
- The adhesive on the Elastilon mat is a permanent bond and NOT a temporary stick and has a 25 year guarantee on its bond to the back of the floor boards.
- Elastilon has nylon strands on the mat ensuring no delamination of the glue from the at itself.
- Elastilon is free of all VOC’s and toxins
- Elastilon is tested to IIC-62 and STC-54 and falls within the sound spec.
WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF INSTALLING MY FLOOR WITH ELASTILON?
- Wooden flooring failures are generally related to two main problems.
- Moisture from the bottom
- On the 1st issue moisture from the bottom – Elastilon creates a floating floor with no glue in the T&G which makes it possible to place a 6mil poly plastic moisture barrier over the concrete slab on or below grade and as the poly plastic has a zero perm rating it prevents moisture getting to the back of the floor boards which in turn prevents the chance of failure.
- On the humidity issue. As we are aware the wood is hydroscopic and when wood absorbs moisture from the air it grows bigger in its width. So, if one has a room that takes in humidity one can have a hundred boards all growing bigger and if the floor is fastened rigidly to the subfloor and starts pushing against the walls one can experience pressure cupping or buckling caused by that extreme pressure. With a floating floor one cannot experience pressure cupping as the floor is not rigidly fastened to the subfloor. The floor may bulge up *not a common trait) which is easily fixed, instead of replacing your entire floor.
- There are no wet messy adhesives used when installing with Elastilon
- There is no waiting for paint on moisture barriers to dry.
- One can walk on the floor at all times without restriction.
- An unfinished floor can be sanded on Elastilon.
- One can have in-floor heating with Elastilon with a maximum heat “UNDER” the floor at 80 degrees Fahrenheit
- If the floor needs to be removed for whatever reason as the floor is floating the subfloor remains in its original condition.
- No knee pads necessary as Elastilon is soft on the knees during installation.
WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF HAVING NO GLUE IN THE TONGUE & GROOVE (T&G)?
- No glue in the T&G means that each board can move naturally as an individual floorboard should.
- This means that with an Elastilon® floating floor the entire house can be installed as one unit instead of having T-Moldings at every doorway like glued together or click together systems (engineered only).
- It also means that with this system one can install SOLID hardwood T&G and it’s the only system where this is possible.
- As Elastilon® creates a floating floor one can install hardwood flooring on or below grade. (Solid & Engineered)
- No glue in the T&G means general repair work can take place as per normal which includes changing a floorboard if necessary.
- So basically, the Elastilon® method is the best of both worlds. It’s the only glue down floor that can float which has massive benefits as one can see in the benefit above.
- THE ELASTILON® METHOD OF INSTALLATION FORMS PART OF THE NWFA INSTALLATION GUIDELINES.
- ELASTILON® IS TESTED AS IIC-62 AND STC-54 FOR SOUND TRANSFER.
Elastilon® STRONG 3mm
For installation of SOLID T&G Hardwood Flooring (or solid or engineered with in-floor radiant heating)
Elastilon® SPORT 10mm
For installation of SOLID or ENGINEERED T&G Hardwood Flooring where cushioning is required. (e.g. Home gyms, fitness center flooring, Halls, stage flooring etc).
Click here for the technical specifications.
Elastilon® LOCK 3mm
For installation of SOLID or ENGINEERED T&G Hardwood (our only mat with glue on both sides of the mat).
This mat can be used for installing stair treads and risers to the staircase carcass. The advantage of using this mat for this purpose is that the treads can be walked on immediately after it has been bonded so that means that the homeowners can get up to their sleeping quarters at night. One need not worry about doing every second tread on the one day and the alternate treads on the next day. One need not worry about a tread shifting out of position on its own or someone mistakenly treading on it and moving it out of position.
Elastilon® REMOVABLE 3mm
For installation of SOLID or ENGINEERED T&G Hardwood temporary installations.
This is a great mat to use when exhibiting T&G flooring at an exhibition at your booth or temporary installation. This mat has a very specialized adhesive and while it is suitable to hold down a floor, then once the exhibition is over one simply lifts the floor off the mat and replaces the protective foil that came off the mat during installation back on the mat. This mat can be used again up to 10 times. If one marks the floor underneath with a marker as 1row 1, plank 1,2,3 then row 2, plank 1,2,3 and so on then one can use the same floor at the next exhibition. It also makes tear out easy after the exhibition as there is no glue in the T&G
Click here for the technical specifications.